March 27, 2011

Day 3

Miles: 15.6
Total Miles: 39.5

Woke up last night a couple times through a huge thunderstorm. I was glad to have a nice warm spot in the shelter. Today Dad was to be picked up at Neels Gap at about 6. Mom was driving up to get him and then I was going to stay with them the night in a hotel before setting off alone against the AT. This meant that we had 9 hours from our late start at 9:30 to make it over a few mountains. We spent the day appreciating the fact that while it looked like rain it never actually came down. Visibility was reduced to about 100 feet in most areas since we were literally walking through the clouds. We summitted our last and hardest climb of the day, Blood Mountain, and got down to the Hiker Hostel at Neels Gap at 5:55. Since it's the most popular outfitter on the trail, what with it being so early on, there is an entire tree in the front covered in old and blown-out hiking boots.

Mom got Dad and me not long after and took us to a Hotel in Dahlonega. We got pizza and a shower and I get to sleep in a bed one last time so now I'm going to take advantage on this luxury and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment