www.purebound.com has been one of my favorite discoveries in that it's based off of the experiences of two guys who I can identify with in both personality and desired hiking distances. They made it from Springer to Katahdin in 122 days. With no breaks I would have 137 so this gives me a little hope for finishing in some sort of timely manner.
I'm most likely coming back to GA for graduation weekend. I don't yet know how it'll work out in terms of convenience but I need to figure something out soon. Moreover, I don't think there's any possible way of getting any sort of concrete idea about where I'll be by then so I truly cannot coordinate anything ahead of time.
I'm almost done buying all my gear. I bought a 2 pound tent today effectively resolving the dilemma of what to live in this summer. I still need the pack cover that is supposedly in Isaac's room somewhere. I also need to get some stuff for the warmer/colder extreme conditions to come in the mid-Atlantic and White Mountains of NH respectively. It's all about layers and specifically layers that serve purposes.
The hiker's outfit consists of three basic layers:
1. The wicking layer - usually polyester or synthetic material close to the skin for comfort and the ability to dry quickly
2. The insulation - fleeces and downs that have the best warmth to weight capabilities
3. The weathering layer - to keep out wind and rain
Clearly this is no equation and is taken less seriously in summer months when hypothermia is not as obvious a threat but I still have to make the plans for later.
A gear list is soon to follow with more detail than you care to hear.
No comments:
Post a Comment