April 22, 2011

Day 26

Miles: 15.4
Total Miles: 307.0

We woke up to a really misty and rainy day so while I watched Dave and our other sheltermate Aaron, a kid from Maine, pack up all their stuff I remained in my sleeping bag. After the rain had stopped and the mist had lifted some I made my way down the trail. At the first gap there was a sign for a hostel not far off the trail with free meals for hikers. Because I had started so late in the day I didn't stop in and kept going. A couple of miles before the shelter I was faced with about my most strenuous mile of trail to day. It wasn't an incredibly steep climb but instead was just climbing over and through boulders for thirty minutes. When I finally reached the shelter I found out that everyone else had gone to the hostel, eaten free food, gotten dropped off about 25 miles up the trail, and were slack packing southbound back to the hostel for more food and then church service on Easter. Everyone who had taken up the offer to slack pack still stayed at the same shelter since it was in the middle of the mountains. So I pitched with Dave, Arrow, and Ponch, a 42 year-old who thru-hiked in '01.

No comments:

Post a Comment