April 28, 2011

Day 32

Miles: 18.0
Total Miles: 407.2

The storm last night got pretty intense but we stayed nice and safe in our barn shelter. The actual sleeping area of the barn was the entire upstairs while the bottom was split into a big hallway on one side and an open face looking out into the valley. The floor of the barn was covering in a thin layer of dirt and the wind still managed to get in through the cracks in the old walls. Everyone woke up with brown circles outlining our faces left by the exposed area in our sleeping bags. By the morning everything had cleared up outside but I decided that after putting in those accidental extra miles yesterday I deserved a late start. There were a couple of towering balds right off the bat and then the rest of the day was spent coasting. I also encountered a group of cows on the trail that I got a video of to be posted at some later date.

I took the day way too slowly and as a result ended up doing some incredibly fast night hiking into the shelter. It wasn't awful but I wasn't a huge fan, at least not by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment